Hi! Welcome to Ann Evans' blogspot.





Tuesday 14 August 2012

Words of Wisdom


A month or two ago I was seeking some words of wisdom to include in my new book – Become a Writer – A Step by Step Guide which I was putting the final touches to.  I think inspirational quotes from other authors are always interesting to read and I wanted to put some quotes and tips into each chapter along with the writing exercises I'd worked out for readers to do.

Happily, quite a few fellow authors very kindly provided me with some wonderful quotes that are now all in the new book which came out just a couple of weeks ago. It's published in paperback by Greenstream Publishing and will also be out as an ebook very soon.

I was so impressed with the great quotes which 15 different authors kindly wrote especially for the book that I'm more than glad that I asked today's writers for their advice rather than delving into the archives for words of encouragement from long gone famous names.

For example, author and poet Andy Seed suggests this advice for writers:
"Go to your local library, find the shelves covering your genre and pick five books at random. For each one, read the opening few pages and write down three things that make you want to read on."

And children's author Karen King offers these words of advice:
"Don't settle for the first idea you get, use it as a springboard for your story and tweak it, stretch it, play with it until you get something really strong and original."

While novelist and playwright Bill Kirton says:
"When you write, you're putting yourself on the page. Your manipulation of ideas, your choice of words, the fluidity of your text - all these things reflect your intellectual abilities. In other words, they demonstrate the quality of your thinking. Think of writing as performing two main functions: giving shape to your thoughts, and communicating those thoughts to others."

I do enjoy reading quotes by writers on writing and the internet is a great source for these. Some seem pretty archaic and pompous while some of them are quite amusing. So I thought I'd share these ones which I came across which made me smile. Hope they bring a smile to your faces too.

“There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately no one knows what they are.”
W. Somerset Maugham.

“Writers are a little below the clowns and a little above the trained seals.”
John Steinbeck.

“I love being a writer, what I can't stand is the paperwork.”
Peter de Vries.

“A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit.”
Robert Bach

“Write without pay until somebody offers to pay you. If nobody offers within three years, sawing wood is what you were intended for.”
Mark Twain.

“Writing books is the closest men ever come to childbearing.”
Norman Mailer.

“What no wife of a writer can ever understand is that a writer is working when he's staring out of the window.”
Burton Rascoe.

“The best time for planning a book is while you're doing the dishes.”
Agatha Christie.

“Lower your standards and keep writing.”
William Stafford.

You can find some great words of wisdom from the likes of Simon Cheshire, Jan Needle and Roz Morris in my book:  Become a Writer – A Step by Step Guide by Ann Evans, published by Greenstream Publishing. ISBN 978-1907670244

Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Become-Writer-Step-Guide/dp/1907670246/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343919473&sr=1-1

Please visit my website at: www.annevansbooks.co.uk












No comments:

Post a Comment